box10.gif (1299 bytes)








Montfort Hospital activates Dinmar Oacis EMPI

OTTAWA – DINMAR, a wholly owned subsidiary of Emergis Inc., announced that its Oacis EMPI (enterprise master patient index) application has been activated at Montfort Hospital as a final stage in linking patient records across Eastern Ontario.

The Oacis EMPI has been instrumental in significantly improving access to patient records throughout the Champlain Region’s Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) in Eastern Ontario. In addition to speeding-up the patient identification process, the Oacis EMPI contributes, as part of an array of projects currently under way, to reducing patient wait times.

The Oacis EMPI contains probabilistic matching technologies which continually inspect patient demographic information, from multiple sources, as it streams through Champlain’s regional health network. The system compares key data elements and determines the probability that a particular patient record containing identical or similar elements is (or is not) the same as another patient record.

Currently, the Oacis EMPI automatically matches 90% of records, thus saving significant time and costs for admissions and medical records personnel across a region compared to manual methods of identification. The remaining 10% of records are flagged as “suspects”, and administrative personnel are alerted on-line to take appropriate follow-up action.

“Linking patient records is typically the first practical step towards the ultimate goal of a regional electronic health record system,” commented Mark Groper, DINMAR’s President and Chief Executive Officer and Senior Vice-President at Emergis. “This is in line with Emergis’ mission to provide healthcare professionals with collaborative tools which enhance clinical decision-making, resulting in improved patient outcomes. Moreover, it demonstrates our company’s ability to help sites, communities, regions, and provinces collectively provide better care.”

The Champlain LHIN has rolled out the Oacis EMPI in stages across 15 sites, with Ottawa-based Montfort Hospital in the final group. In addition to the EMPI project, Montfort engaged DINMAR to help the hospital implement the Province of Ontario’s Wait Time Information System (WTIS) along with its linkage to the Province’s EMPI through the Oacis EMPI.

“We are very enthusiastic about participating in such a worthwhile regional effort,” said Gerald R. Savoie, President and Chief Executive Officer of Montfort Hospital. “The Oacis EMPI has already proved that linking patient records across broad geographic area helps clinical practitioners provide more rapid and safer care. It is important that Montfort Hospital contributes to this higher standard. Moreover, success within a region with significant English and French-speaking communities inspires great confidence within hospital staff, administrators and, more importantly, our clients and patients.”

Oacis EMPI has a successful track record in other large-scale jurisdictions, such as the State of South Australia, as well as in more focused integrated delivery networks (IDN) including two university medical centres in Montreal, Quebec, and a large IDN in Dallas, Texas.

About Montfort Hospital
Montfort Hospital is a 189-bed community-oriented hospital that will double in size by the fall of 2009. The hospital is known across Canada and throughout the province of Ontario for its efficient operations and excellence in patient care and services. It plays a vital role in Ontario’s Francophone community, providing healthcare in both official languages and serving as a Francophone teaching hospital. For more information, visit:

DINMAR, a wholly owned subsidiary of Emergis Inc., is a leading North American provider of healthcare information technology solutions. The Company provides a diverse array of professional services such as strategic planning, implementation services, change management, and custom software engineering in addition to its healthcare-specific commercial software applications. Based in Ottawa, the Company has regional branches in Toronto, Edmonton, Melbourne, and Northern California. For more information, visit

About Emergis
Emergis, which acquired DINMAR in July 2006, is an IT leader that focuses on the health and financial services sectors. It develops and manages solutions that automate transactions and the exchange of information to increase the process efficiency and quality of service of its customers. Emergis has expertise in electronic health-related claims processing, health record systems, pharmacy management solutions, cash management and loan document processing and registration. In Canada, Emergis and its subsidiaries deliver solutions to the main insurance companies, top financial institutions, government agencies, hospitals, large corporations, real estate lawyers and notaries, and approximately 40% of all pharmacies.