Government & policy
Three charged in British Columbia eHealth scandal
VICTORIA, B.C. Ė
After a two-year investigation, a special prosecutor in British Columbia
has charged three men with fraud and breach of trust in connection with
the awarding of several hundred thousand dollars worth of provincial
contracts for telehealth systems.
The three include Ron Danderfer (pictured), a former assistant deputy
minister of health, who oversaw the creation of the provinceís
$222-million electronic health records project, eHealth, about five
Danderfer was charged with three counts of fraud against government and
one count of breach of trust by a public officer, for allegedly
accepting rewards from medical consultant Dr. Jonathan Burns in exchange
for government contracts and business.
While assistant deputy minister of health between 2004 and 2007,
Danderfer allegedly accepted the use of Burnsís Kelowna condominium, a
job for his wife and the promise of post-retirement income for himself
in exchange for helping to provide Dr. Burns with government contracts,
according to court documents.
Danderfer and his wife, a senior official in the Ministry of Children
and Family Development, were suspended in the summer of 2007 and retired
In total, Dr. Burns is charged with eight counts of fraud and breach of
trust. Some of the charges are connected to the procurement of contracts
with the Fraser Health Authority through a senior Fraser health official
named Keith Taylor. Taylor is charged with allegedly helping Burns
secure contracts in exchange for use of Burnsís Kelowna condo and a job
for his wife in Burnsís company.
The three men are to make their first court appearances April 7. Special
prosecutor John Waddell, a Victoria lawyer, will lead the prosecution in
an attempt to remove any perception of government bias or influence
through provincially employed Crown prosecutors.
Through eHealth, the government is attempting to computerize the medical
records, histories, prescription information and test results of British
Columbians so the information can be easily accessed by medical
practitioners across the province.
B.C.ís auditor general, John Doyle, criticized the approach to eHealth,
saying in a report last month that government planned the project
Health Minister Kevin Falcon acknowledged the criticism and promised to
give Doyle updates every six months. ďItís a large and complex project
that is having challenges right across the country,Ē Falcon said.
Opposition health critic Adrian Dix said the charges against the three
men are serious, but his main concern is how the province has handled
the $222-million project, which he called ďa disaster.Ē
Posted March 11, 2010